Monday, March 10, 2008

my babies

A few of my friends and I were talking today, about what we were all making for easter dinner.

I figured out that I would make (or rather sit on the kitchen stool and tell Bob how to make), ham with a brown sugar glaze, and pineapple rings on top, deviled eggs, string beans, and sweet potatoes on the side.
One friend mentioned how much she missed having her family around for big dinners.

It got me thinking at how I have my OWN big family.
Five children.
And one day THEIR children and husbands and wives, and how lucky I'll be to have them all here for big dinners.

Then I turned into a pregnant emotional mess, and starting wondering if they will always BE here, or if they will be scattered across the U.S. with their own families.

Its so hard to look at their sweet, beautiful faces , and feel their big giant hugs and kisses, and realize that one day, they just wont be mine anymore.
One day, they will belong to someone else.

How will I manage that?
How will I ever let them go?
Thats not fair. at all.

I have tears in my eyes as I sit here, and Im trying not to let them fall and mess up the only make-up I've managed to put on in 3 days.
And, its not working.
Darnit these hormones.

I wish I had the ability to slow down time.........just a little.
Since I dont have that ability......i guess i'll have to deal with a straight jacket and lots and lots of lexapro when the time comes.

4 comments:

The Myers' said...

so I set you on this train of thought...I think this all the time!

Jennie said...

Awe! Time really does go by fast, doesn't it?

3monkeys said...

I know girl..I am always thinking about when the kids grow up, will they come around for our big family dinners, or will they leave home and never come back : ( Eventually...we are going to have to come to realize, that they are going to someday have a family of their own, but....If we show them how much we love them now...and we are always there for them....they will always come back to us! Girl..your going to make me cry!

Anonymous said...

Let's see...

Caeleigh is 12.
Sierra is 7.
Bobby is 6.
Carson is 4.
Natalie is negative 16 days.

So right now it's all cute stories about drawing pictures and picking boogers. They're small and cute, like puppies or Smurfs.

Fast forward ten years.

At 22, Cae will still be a genius, which means that you'll be in your fourth year of college loans that cost more than a yacht. And Bob will be in your ear all day about how much he hates her boyfriend.

At 17, Sierra will be WAY beyond eBay fashion, WAY into boys and tantrums, and constantly yelling "GET OUT OF MY ROOM!" And Bob will be in your ear all day about how much he hates her boyfriend.

At 16, little Bob will be driving. That alone should scare you and every other driver on the road. And he'll be in your ear all day about how much his girlfriend's father hates him.

At 14, Carson will be living on his own island, plotting to take over the world. (I'm tellin' you, with that head of his, he's either gonna be an evil mastermind or an NFL lineman.)

At 9, Nattie will be... a 9-year-old girl. (Gimme a break... I haven't even met her yet.)

And if the current trend holds true, you'll have 4 more kids by then.

But seriously, folks... Kids are like boomerangs. You send them out in the world but they always come back, occasionally just to bonk you on the head.

Don't sweat it. With as many kids as you have, there'll always be one around to fuss over, dote on, or post bail for.

A Mommy's job never ends.

And if they move away, never fear cuz Carson will probably invent teleportation by his 10th birthday...