Friday, August 1, 2008

Ocean City



The smell of popcorn, cotton candy, and the ocean air...

The relaxing sounds of seagulls, the soft roar of the ocean waves in the distance, coupled with the loud roar of the rides, and the music coming from inside of Trimpers...

The views of the beach, the neverending atlantic ocean, dazzling lights from rides and games, miles of boardwalk lined with shops on one side, and sand on the other...

The tastes of soft cotton candy, fresh lemonade, but most importantly, and unforgettably, that of Thrashers french fries, doused with salt and tons of vinegar.

A magical little world that melts away the adult, and brings back the child....



Founded in 1887, Trimpers rides features this newly restored 1902 Herschel-Spellman antique carousel featuring hand-carved wooded animals of every imaginable shape and size.

These smells, sounds, tastes, and sights of Ocean City are ones that every child should expierience.
All too familiar to me, having been there a million times in my life, yet ones my own children had not yet had.
(except caeleigh, who has been quite a few times .)

On thursday Bob and I took the kids for the very 1st time.
I must admit, having not been in ten years myself, all of the familiar comforts rushed back to me, taking me back to my childhood.
As I watched my children on each ride, I couldnt help but picture my brother and I on there as well.



The WHIP....my favorite favorite childhood ride.....it dosnt look all that spectacluar, just going slowly around ...until it jerks you around each bend, and you cant help but crack up laughing.



BUMPER CARS!


Nattie and I waiting while everyone rode the haunted house ride, in which i was told, sierra was so freaked out that she screamed in one of the maintenance mens faces to get away from her and leave her alone (although he was just trying to do his job and fix something.......haha, she thought he was a monster.)



THIS fun house ride is the one I wanted to go on with the kids most of all, i couldnt WAIT.
Until I got in line and the person told me i couldnt go in wearing flip flops.
Boohoo...
So, Bob went in with the kids instead.


The kids wanted to ride the 'scrambler' over and over again.




Daddy was proud of this picture since he got all the beans in a row!
(minus the baby bean of course)


My preteen bean and I went on several 'big' rides together, it was actually like being with one of my friends, we had so much fun....
......except on the very last ride we chose, okay well I chose, thinking it would be the ultimate way to end the night.
Lets just say, we were both so scared, and not in a fun way.
I think we cried the whole time and begged for the ride to be over, thanking our lucky stars when it finally ended!

This will be a yearly trip for our family from now on, I wish we hadn't waited so long.
Trimpers rides are such an important part of Ocean city.
Without Trimpers, there would be none of these memories....
They are in danger of closing, after more than 100 years.
To see how you can help, go to http://www.savetrimpers.com/

Finally, here are 2 quickie little videos.
First one is of the fun mirrors that stretch, or shrink your body parts.
The other is of carson attacking something on a pirate ship.




0 comments: